Sunday, December 14, 2008

We're sorry, we're experiencing some fatal technical difficulties

So. I played Monkey Island the other day. It has got to be the most convoluted game ever created. No seriously, absolutely everything is a challenge, and the solutions are completely insane. Usually, the most obscure puzzles are for things that are absolutely inane; in order to escape from a snake's belly instead of simply cutting his belly open, you need to mix a flower you'd recently picked up with pancake syrup you found in the snake's stomach, creating a mix which causes the snake to throw you up. Call me crazy, but I love it. 

Anyways, in terms of new and exciting updates, not much has happened. I mean, school is an absolute nightmare but this always happens right before the holidays. We do nothing all of November and then the second we start preparing for the break we get loaded with assignments all due in the same week. Having my computer break down on me didn't help either.

So what exactly happened with my computer? Well sometime in November, I decided I wanted to try Ubuntu on my computer. I'd heard a lot of good things about it and my friend in New York was really good on a Linux, so I figured nothing drastic could go wrong. Installing it was easy, I just dual-booted it with Windows XP, the default OS we got with the computer. I liked Ubuntu, it was a nice change from XP with a lot of different features from Windows. I fooled around in Terminal, figured out all the basics to using a Linux machine, played around with the new programs, and transferred my work over. Now, the only problem with using Ubuntu was that I couldn't run my Windows programs in Ubuntu, and I couldn't transfer anything over from Ubuntu to XP (file types and such). After a while, I decided that Ubuntu was fun, but not quite for me. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved using it, just that I've been using XP all my life, and have grown quite familiar with it. When I switched to Ubuntu, all my previous knowledge was completely useless, and I had to re-learn everything. After about 2 weeks of Ubuntu, I decided to uninstall it. It was taking up a lot of space on my hard drive, and I was growing tired of it anyways. 

Now, my computer's hard drive is partitioned, meaning that it's split into two parts:  a C: drive (the root hard drive), and a D: drive (a section cut off from the main hard drive). This was done for protection issues: we save all our work and personal files to the D: drive, and all the school programs and such in the C: drive. So whenever we get a virus, our IT department at school can wipe the C: drive clean, and our work and personal files are completely unaffected. Linux requires a partition to function, so I partitioned my D: drive, alloting 5G for Linux. When I uninstalled Linux, I wiped the OS from the system and then needed to delete the partition. This is where things got dicey. None of the partitions were labelled. I deleted the 5G partition knowing that was Linux. Then another block appeared. It was 2G of free space just floating around my computer. Now, operating systems always do this, they create blocks of free space which they can use to run processes, and store temporary memory files. So I deleted that partition, thinking it was the block Linux created. I rebooted my computer and thought all was well. On startup, a couple of things happened. My programs didn't start up, that was odd. I thought it was just a random error, so I go into My Documents. Nothing happened. I go into My Computer and click on my D: drive. I get a message prompting me to format. This was bad, I couldn't access my D: drive. I go back into partition editor, and the 2G is still there. I had deleted my D: partition.  All my files, my programs, and my schoolwork was now floating around in the depths of my computer, unaccessible to me. I almost started crying. 

Now this is where I got smart. I downloaded a file recovery program (at a pretty hefty price I'll let you know) and ran a scan for data. There it all was, all my D: files inside my computer. I couldn't recover it just yet - I still needed to recreate the D: drive. I go back into the partition editor and set aside 15G for my D: files, naming the partition. I go back into the file recovery program, located my files and hit RECOVER. I glanced at the clock, noticed it was 2 in the morning, and went to bed, leaving my computer running. I woke up the next morning, and it was done. Everything was back to normal. I swore never, ever to mess with partitions again. 

More technical stuff!: my iPod broke. No sorry, I should be more specific. Not only did it break, it wiped all my music. Then, when I plugged it into the computer, it didn't connect. So essentially, it was a brick. Now here's the best part: I don't own a second copy of that music. I download soundtracks, load them up on my iPod, and then delete the files because they take up enormous amounts of space. It was a very, very long process of recovering my music. 

COMING UP NEXT: Hunters, school plays, and Christmas :3

Out vile spot! Oh wait here's my time machine. - Lady Macbeth on Deus Ex Machina 

1 comment:

Alhavra said...

Wow, crazy computer stuff. And sucks about the iPod...'course, me having just over a hundred songs, would have absolutely no problem at all getting them all back again on my MP3 XD HAHH.